This post has affiliate links in it for your convenience. I may earn a small commission at no cost to you when you use one of these links. For more information, click here.
All of us need a break sometimes. A lovely, happy, non-stressful break. For me, that often means reading a great book. I enjoy chick movies and chick lit as much as the next girl, but sometimes it is hard to find books without sex scenes in them. I enjoy well written clean romance books that have a few laughs and that aren’t cheesy.
In this post, I will share my top 7 favorite romance authors (most of these are Regency style)–and they will give you LOTS of relaxing, happy, clean reading. They usually have kissing to one degree or another, but it ends there.
Note: I have read every book I recommend from each author (and more in most cases), but I can’t guarantee that EVERY book these authors write will be clean. But they generally have my trust.
Oh, swoon! Julianne’s books are amazing! The only problem- there aren’t enough of them! Julianne is a busy mother to her five children and she puts them first (as she should), so writing sometimes takes a back burner. I have never met anyone who likes this genre and does not LOVE Julianne. Run, don’t walk to your library or Amazon 1-click buying option! 😉
2. Sarah Eden:
This girl is a writing machine, and I am so glad! I’m pretty sure I have read all of her books and her sharp and witty writing is hilarious! She has several series of books that carry through different families and their friends, so it is fun to see what happens in the lives of all of her characters.
3. Josie Kipack:
This talented lady also has a series of dessert inspired mystery novels. I am also enjoying her new series on how famous authors and poets met their spouses.
4. Rachael Anderson:
This author is a new one to me, but she has a bunch of books for free on the Kindle Unlimited program with Amazon = awesome!
Another new-to-me author, I’m liking what I’m reading!
6. Jennifer Moore:
This woman is quickly becoming one of my favorites. She includes sailing in several of her books and her uncommon plot ideas are fun.
This author is really fun. She has story ideas I had never considered before. She also writes across a wide variety of genres.
A few quick tips:
- NEVER let your husband (or sons) read these. They are clean, but he will make EVERYTHING sound cheesy and make fun of you! And then you will feel silly. (True story!) 😉
- Kindle Unlimited saves me a lot of money. It is $9.99/month, but when I compare that to the library late fees I rack up, this is a bargain! Sad, but true. (My library should have an entire wing named after me.) Kindle Unlimited is kind of like a digital Amazon library card. You can check a book out for free (after the monthly fee) and then return it. Not all books are available, but many are. Read as many books as you like, but you have a limit on how many you can have “checked out” at one time.
- When trying to find new books that are clean, look at the 1 star reviews. People who don’t like sex scenes in books will frequently post their reviews there. So will people who don’t like squeaky clean books.
- The Timeless Regency Collection is great, as is the Timeless Romance Anthology Collection. These are short stories that are a quick read if you don’t really have time for a whole book. Also, each one has a different theme, which is kind of fun, too.
- Anything under the “A Proper Romance” publishing imprint by Shadow Mountain is clean and good quality. I especially enjoy these books.
P.S. I also want to do a little shout out to my friend Jenni Archibald. If you are in the mood for a fun fairy tale twist, be sure to check out her book, Terribly Charming. It’s a super fun, clean read!